Health Promotion Management Office
Shuichi Obuchi, P.T., Ph.D.
Hisashi Kawai, Ph.D., Takuo Kawade, Shima Sakai, R.N., P.H.N., Ph.D., Yukiko Sato, Haruko Sekiguchi, D.H., Harumi Nakada, R.N., P.H.N., Ph.D, Kazumasa Nishida, P.T., M.S., Azumi Honshima, R.N.
prevention of dependence on long-term care, health promotion, assistance of local government
Major Research Titles
- 1.Action research on the effectiveness of care prevention activities through assisting local governments and the private sector
- 2.Management of training program of Certified trainer for care prevention
- 3.Promoting of collaboration project of private sector and institute
In the near future, prolonging independent healthy life styles of the elderly will be the most important issue facing super aging societies. We are predicting that the role of local governments and the private sector in promoting healthy living in the elderly population will be greatly expanding within the next few years. Our goal is to assist local governments and the private sector promote and develop programs that are focused on improving healthy life styles by providing practical solutions with strong positive outcomes that are based upon scientific evidence. We have already assisted several local governments in various projects promoting healthy life styles in the elderly. In addition to the development and assessment of these projects, we have offered our technical expertise and advice in the implementation of these projects. We focus on the problems in the near-to-mid term and assist local government and the private sector by using evidences from our institute. We also take a progressive approach to collaborative project with private sectors. We hope every community member work together to extend their healthy life expectancy.
- 1. Hiroyuki Suzuki, Hisashi Kawai, Hirohiko Hirano, Hideyo Yoshida, Kazushige Ihara, Hunkyung Kim, Paulo H. M. Chaves, Ushio Minami, Masashi Yasunaga, Shuichi Obuchi, Yoshinori Fujiwara: One-year change in Montreal Cognitive Assessment performance and related predictors in community-dwelling older adults, Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2015, in press.
- 2. Aki Kuroda, Tomoki Tanaka, Hirohiko Hirano, Yuki Ohara, Takeshi Kikutani, Hiroyasu Furuya, Shuichi P Obuchi, Hisashi Kawai, Shinya Ishii, Masahiro Akishita, Tetsuo Tsuji, Katsuya Iijima: Eating alone as social disengagement is strongly associated with depressive symptoms in Japanese community-dwelling older adults, Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 2015, Feb 14. pii: S1525-8610(15)00079-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2015.01.078. [Epub ahead of print]
- 3. Ken Nishihara, Hisashi Kawai, Hiroyuki Hayashi, Hideo Naruse, Akihito Kimura, Toshiaki Gomi, Fumihiko Hoshi: Frequency analysis of ultrasonic echo intensities of the skeletal muscle in elderly and young individuals, Clinical Interventions in Aging, 2014 (9): 1471-1478, 2014.
- 4. Ishii S, Tanaka T, Shibasaki K, Ouchi Y, Kikutani T, Higashiguchi T, Obuchi SP, Ishikawa-Takata K, Hirano H, Kawai H, Tsuji T, Iijima K.: Development of a simple screening test for sarcopenia in older adults.@Geriatr Gerontol Int.Suppl 1, 93-101. 2014
- 5. Seino S, Shinkai S, Fujiwara Y, Obuchi S, Yoshida H, Hirano H, Kim HK, Ishizaki T, Takahashi R; TMIG-LISA Research Group.: Reference values and age and sex differences in physical performance measures for community-dwelling older Japanese: a pooled analysis of six cohort studies. PLoS One. 9(6), 1-14. 2014
- 6. Ohara Y, Hirano H, Watanabe Y, Obuchi S, Yoshida H, Fujiwara Y, Ihara K, Kawai H, Mataki S.: Factors associated with self-rated oral health among community-dwelling older Japanese: A cross-sectional study. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2014 Sep 20. doi: 10.1111/ggi.12345. [Epub ahead of print]
- 7. Kuroda A, Tanaka T, Hirano H, Ohara Y, Kikutani T, Furuya H, Obuchi SP, Kawai H, Ishii S, Akishita M, Tsuji T, Iijima K. : Eating Alone as Social Disengagement is Strongly Associated With Depressive Symptoms in Japanese Community-Dwelling Older Adults. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015 Feb 14. doi:pii: S1525-8610(15)00079-1. 10.1016/j.jamda.2015.01.078. [Epub ahead of print]
- 8. Yoshinori Fujiwara, Hiroyuki Suzuki, Hisashi Kawai, Hirohiko Hirano, Hideyo Yoshida, Motonaga Kojima, Kazushige Ihara, Shuichi Obuchi: Characteristics of older community residents with mild cognitive impairment as assessed by Japanese version of the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA-J), Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, 26(4):209-220, 2013.
- 9. Kojima N, Kim H, Saito K, Yoshida H, Yoshida Y, Hirano H, Obuchi S, Shimada H, Suzuki T: Association of knee-extension strength with instrumental activities of daily living in community-dwelling older adults. Geriatr Gerontol Int. Nov. 2013.
- 10. Ken Nishihara, Hisashi Kawai, Yu Chiba, Naohiko Kanemura, and Toshiaki Gomi: Investigation of innervation zone shift with continuous dynamic muscle contraction, Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, 174342, 2013.
- 11. Ken Nishihara, Hisashi Kawai, Naohiko Kanemura, Motohiko Hara, and Toshiaki Gomi: Novel approach for evaluating nerve function in healthy elderly persons: A pilot study, Medical Science Monitor, 19:309-316, 2013.
- 12. Ohara, Y., Hirano, H., Yoshida, H., Obuchi S, Ihara, K., Fujiwara Y. Mataki S. Prevalence and factors associated with xerostomia and hyposalivation among community-dwelling older people in Japan. Gerodontology, Dec. 2013.
- 13. Arai T, Obuchi S, Shiba Y, Omuro K, Inaba Y, Kojima M. : The validity of an assessment of maximum angular velocity of knee extension (KE) using a gyroscope. Arch Gerontol Geriatr, 54(2), e175-80, 2012
- 14. Kimura K, Obuchi S, Arai T, Nagasawa H, Shiba Y, Watanabe S. and Kojima M. : The influence of short-term strength training on health-related quality of life and executive cognitive function. Journal of Physiological Anthropology, 29, 95-101, 2010
- 15. Henmi O, Shiba Y, Saitou T, Tsuruta H, Takeuchi A, Shiratakka M, Obuchi S, Kojima M, Ikeda N : Spectal Analysis of Gait@Variability of Stride Interval Time SeriesFComparison of Young,Elderly and Parkinson's Disease Patients.The Society of Physical Therapy Science ,21:105-111,2009
- 16. Arai T, Obuchi S, Shiba Y, Omuro K, Nakano C, Higashi T : The feasibility of measuring joint angular velocity with a gyro-sensor.Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:95-99,2008
- 17. Kojima M, Obuchi S, Henmi O, Ikeda N : Comparison of Smoothness during Gait between Community Dwelling Elderly Fallers and Non-Fallers Using Power Spectrum Entropy of Acceleration Time-Series.Journal of Physical Therapy Science 20:243-248,2008
- 18. Arai T, Obuchi S, Inaba Y, Nagasawa H, Shiba Y, Watanabe S, Kimura K, Kojima M:The effects of short-term exercise intervention on falls self-efficacy and the relationship between changes in physical function and falls self-efficacy in Japanese older people: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 86:133-41,2007