Neuropathology (the Brain Bank for Aging Research)
Yuko Saito, M.D., Ph.D.
Vice-Chief Researcher :
Shigeo Murayama, M.D., Ph.D.(Brain Bank for Aging Research)
Ito Kawakami, M.D., Ph.D. (BBAR), Zenichi Taneda, M.D., Ph.D. (BBAR)
Daisuke Taniguchi, M.D., Akiko Uchino, M.D., Ph.D, Emiko Harada, Nobuko Naoi, Sachiko Imai, Kyoko Okamoto、Sachiko Hatakeyama, Maho Morishima, Ph.D.
clinical neurology, neuropathology, brain bank, dementia, mild cognitive impairment, centenarian, dynamic neuropathology, Alzheimer's disease, tauopathy, argyrophilic grain dementia, Parkinson's disease, beta amyloid, tau, synuclein, Prion disease, TDP43, Adult-onset neuronal intranuclear hyaline inclusion disease.
Major Research Titles
- 1.Brain Bank for Aging Research Project.
- 2.Dynamic, molecular and epidemiological neuropathology.
Our group plays an important role interfacing the clinical and basic research in the Tokyo Metropolitan Geriatric Hospital and Institute of Gerontology (TMGHIG). We have extensively carried out a Brain Bank Project for aging and dementia and construction of Geriatric Neuroscience Data Base that encompasses summary of clinical records, neuroimaging and neuropathological findings in digital format thorough discussion with clinical departments including neurology, psychiatry and pathology in our center.
Our research themes include prospective and retrospective studies of cognitive disorder, mechanistic approaches to Lewy body disease or Parkinson disease, senile tauopathy and TDP 43 proteinopathy, in collaboration with distinguished neuroscientists in the world. International collaborative projects with the foreign brain banks are ongoing. Our group is a pioneer in establishing an essential infrastructure for human brain research in Japan.
- 1. Nishioka M, Bundo M, Ueda J, Katsuoka F, Sato Y, Kuroki Y, Ishii T, Ukai W, Murayama S, Hashimoto E, Nagasaki M, Yasuda J, Kasai K, Kato T, Iwamoto K: Identification of somatic mutations in postmortem human brains by whole genome sequencing and their implications for psychiatric disorders. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2018, 72(4): 280-94.
- 2. Uchino A, Ogino M, Takahashi-Fujigasaki J, Oonuma S, Kanazawa N, Kajita S, Ichinoe M, Hasegawa M, Nishiyama K, Murayama S: Pathological and immunoblot analysis of phosphorylated TDP-43 in sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with pallido-nigro-luysian degeneration. Neuropathology 2018, 38(2):171-8.
- 3. Zhao Y, Perera G, Takahashi-Fujigasaki J, Mash DC, Paul J, Vonsattel G, Uchino A, Hasegawa K, Jeremy Nichols R, Holton JL, Murayama S, Dzamko N, Halliday GM: Reduced LRRK2 in association with retromer dysfunction in post-mortem brain tissue from LRRK2 mutation carriers. Brain 2018, 141(2): 486-95.
- 4. Morimoto S, Hatsuta H, Kokubo Y, Nakano Y, Hasegawa M, Yoneda M, Hirokawa Y, Kuzuhara S, Shiraishi T, Murayama S: Unusual tau pathology of the cerebellum in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/parkinsonism-dementia complex from the kii peninsula, Japan. Brain Pathol 2018, 28(2): 287-91.
- 5. Dzamko N, Gysbers AM, Bandopadhyay R, Bolliger MF, Uchino A, Zhao Y, Takao M, Wauters S, van de Berg WD, Takahashi-Fujigasaki J, Nichols RJ, Holton JL, Murayama S, Halliday GM: LRRK2 levels and phosphorylation in Parkinson's disease brain and cases with restricted Lewy bodies. Mov Disord 2017, 32:423-32.
- 6. Kakuda N, Miyasaka T, Iwasaki N, Nirasawa T, Wada-Kakuda S, Takahashi-Fujigasaki J, Murayama S, Ihara Y, Ikegawa M: Distinct deposition of amyloid-beta species in brains with Alzheimer's disease pathology visualized with MALDI imaging mass spectrometry. Acta Neuropathol Commun 2017, 5:73.
- 7. Kokubo Y, Banack SA, Morimoto S, Murayama S, Togashi T, Metcalf JS, Cox PA, Kuzuhara S: beta-N-methylamino-l-alanine analysis in the brains of patients with Kii ALS/PDC. Neurol 2017, 89:1091-2.
- 8. Mano T, Nagata K, Nonaka T, Tarutani A, Imamura T, Hashimoto T, Bannai T, Koshi-Mano K, Tsuchida T, Ohtomo R, Takahashi-Fujigasaki J, Yamashita S, Ohyagi Y, Yamasaki R, Tsuji S, Tamaoka A, Ikeuchi T, Saido TC, Iwatsubo T, Ushijima T, Murayama S, Hasegawa M, Iwata A: Neuron-specific methylome analysis reveals epigenetic regulation and tau-related dysfunction of BRCA1 in Alzheimer's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2017, 114: E9645-54.
- 9. Morimoto S, Takao M, Hatsuta H, Nishina Y, Komiya T, Sengoku R, Nakano Y, Uchino A, Sumikura H, Saito Y, Kanemaru K, Murayama S: Homovanillic acid and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid as biomarkers for dementia with Lewy bodies and coincident Alzheimer's disease: An autopsy-confirmed study. PLoS One 2017, 12:e0171524.
- 10. Saito Y, Shioya A, Sano T, Sumikura H, Murata M, Murayama S: Lewy body pathology involves the olfactory cells in Parkinson's disease and related disorders. Mov Disord 2016, 31:135-8.
- 11. Uchino A, Takao M, Hatsuta H, Sumikura H, Nakano Y, Nogami A, Saito Y, Arai T, Nishiyama K, Murayama S: Incidence and extent of TDP-43 accumulation in aging human brain. Acta Neuropathol Commun 2015; 3: 35.
- 12. Hatsuta H, Takao M, Ishii K, Ishiwata K, Saito Y, Kanemaru K, Arai t, Suhara T, Shimada H, Shinotoh H, Tamaoka A, Murayama S: Amyloid beta accumulation assessed with 11C-Pittsburgh compound B PET and postmortem neuropathology. Curr Alzheimer Res 2015; 12(3): 278-86.
- 13. Ito S, Takao M, Hatsuta H, Kanemaru K, Arai T, Saito Y, Fukayama M, Murayama S. Alpha-synuclein immunohistochemistry of gastrointestinal and biliary surgical specimens for diagnosis of Lewy body disease. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2014; 7:1714-23.
- 14. Hasegawa, M., S. Watanabe, H. Kondo, H. Akiyama, D. M. Mann, Y. Saito and S. Murayama. "3R and 4R tau isoforms in paired helical filaments in Alzheimer's disease." Acta Neuropathol 2014, 127(2): 303-5.